One scatterbrained teacher taking it a day at a time and trying to incorporate as much technology, fun, and glitter as humanly possible.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Math is Real Life { August }

It's the first Wednesday of August (though I wish it was still July!) which means I am linking up with four amazing blogs ( The Teacher Studio4mula FunTeaching to Inspire in 5th  , and Miss Math Dork ). 



Though this project started MONTHS ago (okay fine, almost a year ago) it's finally coming around to being completed. Last October, I started to write grants to get a learning garden at my school. To do this, I not only needed to be an excellent writer (I'm kidding... kind of) but I also had to do tons of estimation. Both of the grants that I applied for needed a budget, this meant thinking of every single thing that our garden would possibly need, deciding on they size of raised beds we would build, determining the volume of the beds and how many cubic feet of soil we would need, the list goes on and on. We got the beds built...



and then hit some snags when it came to doing the rest of it. But I can FINALLY say, that next week we are getting back in there and getting it all finished! Benches will be built, a shed will be installed, soil and compost will be ordered. I'm so excited to have this done so that all of the students can use this garden to help make their learning real and let them know that math is real life!


3 comments:

  1. Miss Hayden! I am so excited for this project! I do hope you will share more pictures in the future... congrats on having everything finally coming together in one place :) Thanks so much for linking up! I hope you can join us again in the future!

    Jamie aka MissMathDork

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the hard work you have put in to getting this project started will reap your students many rewards! Have fun and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to hate math. I can’t say that a lot has changes since then, but I guess the main reason of me disliking it, was the fact that I could not understand it. Math is an exact since and it requires concentration and knowledge of certain formulas, which I clearly did not know. I would always spend more time writing for EssayOnlineStore ( I was a really skilled girl, so I was invited to write for some online editions). But math…it scared me a lot…well, it still does.

    ReplyDelete